1 an exemption from some rule or obligation
2 a share that has been dispensed or distributed
3 the act of dispensing (giving out in portions)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of dispensing or dealing out; distribution; often used of the distribution of good and evil by God to man, or more generically, of the acts and modes of his administration.
- That which is dispensed, dealt out, or appointed; that which is enjoined or bestowed
- A system of principles, promises, and rules ordained and administered; scheme; economy; as, the Patriarchal, Mosaic, and Christian dispensations.
- The relaxation of a law in a particular case; permission to do something forbidden, or to omit doing something enjoined; specifically, in the Roman Catholic Church, exemption from some ecclesiastical law or obligation to God which a man has incurred of his own free will (oaths, vows, etc.).
- Italian: deroga
- Dispensation is the act of distributing goods or services, especially those that are regulated, as in the practice of pharmacists.
- In the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church, a dispensation is the act of an authority making an exception to laws, standards, or customs. For an account of the power of bishops to dispense with standards in the Eastern Orthodox Church, see economy (Eastern Orthodoxy). For dispensation in Western Christendom, see dispensation (Catholic Church).
- In Protestant Christian theology, a dispensation is a distinctive arrangement or period in which the purpose of God is worked out. A number of organizations and confessions recognize dispensation as a type of administration.. Dispensationalism though is a specific Christian theological view that teaches specific periods of time called dispensations form the framework through which God relates to mankind.
- In the Bahá'í Faith, a dispensation is a period of progressive revelation relating to the major religions of humanity.
dispensation in French: Dispensation
OK, abandonment, abjuration, administration, admission, allowance, attenuation, blank check, broadcast, broadcasting, carte blanche, cession, charter, circumfusion, civil government, command function, consent, copyright, courtesy, creation, decision-making, diffraction, diffusion, dilution, direction, disbursal, disbursement, discipline, dispersal, dispersion, disposal, disposition, dissemination, dissipation, distribution, divergence, dole, doling, doling out, dumping, empery, empire, evaporation, executive function, expansion, favor, forgoing, form of government, forswearing, fragmentation, franchise, freedom, getting rid of, giving out, giving up, governance, government, grant, immunity, indulgence, issuance, kindness, leave, letting go, liberty, license, management, officiation, okay, oversight, passing around, patent, paying out, peppering, permission, permission to enter, political organization, polity, preservation, privilege, propagation, providence, publication, radiation, recantation, regime, regimen, regnancy, regulation, reign, release, relinquishment, renunciation, resignation, retraction, riddance, rule, sacrifice, scattering, scatterment, service, shotgun pattern, sovereignty, sowing, spattering, special favor, special permission, splay, spread, spreading, sprinkling, strewing, supervision, surrender, sway, swearing off, system of government, ticket, ticket of admission, visitations of providence, volatilization, vouchsafement, waiver, warrant, yielding